Monday: Today students learned about deforestation of the Amazon rainforest. I was so impressed with their thoughtful and thought-provoking questions about laws that regulate forest use! Students may review the Environmental Issues Slideshow here. Students have completed the first 2 of 3 flow maps about Environmental Issues in Latin America:
Air Pollution in Mexico City Flow Map
Deforestation in the Amazon Rainforest Flow Map
Oil-related Pollution in Venezuela
Tuesday-Thursday: We will spend these days in the computer lab learning about the location, climate, and natural resources of Brazil and Cuba. CLICK HERE to access the Nearpod lesson. The code for the Brazil lesson is OSCNY . The code for the Cuba lesson is FPBXR.
will post the code for the Cuba lesson on Tuesday. Students who finish the Nearpod lessons will be able to practice their map skills by visiting online.seterra.com
Friday: Students will take the Latin America map quiz. They will be given a map of Central and South America and the Caribbean along with a list of countries and physical features theat they will label. You may click HERE to access the list and map for practice. Students will also learn about oil-related pollution problems in Latin America.
1. Study, study, study! Students should study nightly for Friday's map quiz. You can click on the link to download a list of countries and a map. Students can also visit a map practice site such as online.seterra.com. On that site they should practice the "North and Central America Countires" listed under the "North America" heading, and the "South America" Countries listed under the "South Ameria heading.
2. Students who need remedation of Canada geography skills may also have additional homework this week. Please check your student's agenda daily.
3. Read and Respond Comparing Brazil and Cuba - due Tuesday
In class: This week students will be learning about the geography of Latin America. There will also be a retest of the Canada unit on Thursday.
CIA World Factbook
Monday-Wednesday: Students should study for the Canada unit retest. In order to study, students should:
I hope that you will have a safe and happy break!
In Class: Students are finishing up Celebrity Apprentice-Canada Edition this week and taking the Canada test. Then Then we will begin our study of Latin America.
Homework: Study, study, study! Students should bring home notebooks with class notes and assignments to review, and students should take this Quizizz test until they can score 100%! The game code is 696026.
In Class: Students are continuing their study of Canada. On Monday students completed the History of Canada Read and Respond. Students who did not finish will need to finish for homework. Tuesday, students will read textbook pages 312-317 and complete the section 3 Assessment on p 317. Students who do not finish will need to check out a student textbook and complete it for homework. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, students will be completing group challenges to help prepare them for Monday's unit test. Group activities will be a formative assessment grade, and the MONDAY unit test will be a summative assessment grade.
Top Canadian Exports
Canadian Natural: Company that deals in fossils fuels
Wikipedia Canadian Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada: Government of Canada
Minerals in Canada
First Peoples of Canada
Government with links to indigenous peoples
CIA World Factbook: Canada- information about history, government, geography, and economics
Monday- Read the History of Canada Read and Respond and complete the fill-in page to answer the questions
Tuesday- finish reading textbook pages 312-317 and complete the Section 3 Assessment on p. 317
Wednesday- complete the Quizizz quiz. Go to join.quizizz.com and enter game code 696026 to play. Retake to improve your score.
Thursday- study for the Canada unit test. If you did not make an A on the Quizziz quiz yesterday, retake it until you score an A.
Friday- Make-up work- refer to parentVue/StudentVue to see what assignments need dto be made up. February 7 is the end of the 4 1/2 week progress report period.
It was a pleasure returning to class after my absence. I sure did miss my Social Studies students!
The class is in need of supplies: hand sanitizer, Kleenex, sanitary wipes, band-aids, lined paper and copy paper. Students who bring in supplies for the class will receive a little reward.
This week, please regularly check StudentVue/Parent/Vue. Students need to make up missing assignments this week, and I will be posting regularly to the site. Scores of less than 100% are based on assignment completion. If a student scored lower than 100%, then there are portions of the assignment that were not completed.
Parents, please check your student's agenda daily, and sign it so that I know you have seen it! Starting Tuesday, I will be checking student agendas to make sure they are writing down their assignments.
Below you will find links to many of the assignments given during the past 2 weeks ( I am not able to copy textbook pages to display here, and so those are assignments students will need to get in class). Click on the name of the assignment to be taken to a pdf. It is not necessary to print it out. Students can simply answer the questions in complete sentences on a separate sheet of paper.
Environmental Issues in Canada
Government in Canada
Economics in Europe
Economy of Canada
Geography of Canada
Dear Students and Parents,
After a fall on my ice-covered deck stairs, I am nursing some broken ribs and a concussion, but I am feeling better and hope to return to the classroom soon! In the meantime, I am working with my 6th grade team to make sure that students are getting the information they need to master 6th grade standards in science and social studies. As always, it is important that students keep up with the readings and turn in assignments. Please look at last week's blog posts and make sure you/your student is caught up. I will be updating my gradebook in Student Vue/Parent Vue on Thursday night and Friday. Have a great week,
Tuesday: Geography of Canada Read and Respond
Wednesday: Textbook reading and questions- History of Canada
Happy New Year and welcome back!
In class: Students will review concepts related to Government, and will be learning about Economics.
1. If you have not yet completed the Parliamentary vs. Presidential Democracy Venn Diagram, please finish for homework.
2. All students are expected to have a Quarter 3 notebook and an Agenda by Monday. Students may reuse their 2nd quarter notebook/folder, or if it is in poor condition, may get a new one. Do NOT throw away Quarter 1 and 2 materials. Students may wish to use them to study for the end of year test. If you/your student has lost the agenda that was provided at the beginning of the school year, either purchase a day planner at the dollar store or other retailer, or use a folder with prongs. Put paper in it to be used for writing down assignments, and label it with name and "Agenda".
3. Please consider sending in one of the following supplies: Kleenex, hand sanitizer, glue sticks, paper towel, band-aids, pencils, or copy paper. Thank you!